We set up node last year so that we can help a fair trade project/school set up a really nice social enterprise. so far its been going pretty good. Amongst other things we are being stocked by the design museum but there have been other very exciting opportunities that we have not been able to fully realize yet.
There are just 2 of us. Akshay is in Kathmandu and I’m really busy on other projects and to be honest ive no idea how to best do a lot of this stuff. I am offered a lot of opportunities with the rugs but i dont have much business sense, it would be great to have someone on board with a good vision and a more structured approach for growth.
We think we have the potential to scale up. We want to be able to pay ourselves (all voluntary so far) and scale it up to something thats helping lots more people out. we have been offered some VERY VERY exciting exhibitions with some VERY VERY exciting people, and i want to give this project the attention it deserves.
So thats why we are looking for someone to help. If you can make it work and you can make this pay ..you have a job!
for more info on the job see the detailed description below. you can also see the links below:
- to co-ordinate an international fair trade design exhibition project
- to work with designers and Nepal-based manufacturer
- to promote and market project to museums and retailers in UK and abroad.
- To create a project plan and budget, set up meetings, liaise with our client, keep project on track both financially and in time.
- Create a collection of 20 different contemporary fair trade uniquely designed rugs.
- You will be the main contact between the 20 designers and the manufacturer in Nepal to create, manufacture and deliver rugs to the UK in time. Responsible for all correspondence, skype conversations, emails etc.
- To write a design brief for up to 20 designers and illustrators, contact potential designers and liaise with designers, creation of contracts and royalty agreements with designers, all liaison with designers. There will be a run of up to 50 rugs per design.
- You will be responsible to create the rug exhibition in London in September with major museum and potential major retailer.
- (Most of designers and illustrators are already known to my client, so little promotion required to get other designers involved)
- To promote exhibition in London to press, potential retailers, with a view to tour exhibition or show in our outside of UK.
- Find additional retail and exhibition opportunities.
- Create online sales through own website or working with partners.
- You will be responsible for the commercial success of this project, with the main aim to financially support the trade fair manufacturer in Nepal through regular trading. This is a self-funded project, so no government funding is involved, although some sponsorship opportunities might be possible.
- You will need to be able to budget and price the collection appropriately, and promote to retailers to show and sell the rugs
- There is the potential to work here as an agent on a longer term project basis.
- We are looking for a candidate with an entrepreneurial, ‘can do’ attitude, who makes things happen.
- You have got excellent communication and negotiation skills, ideally working with designers, manufacturers and retailers. The manufacturer in Nepal has been educated at Harvard in US and has very good English.
- You probably have got a very strong marketing, retail and or design management background, potentially working as an agent. It would be good if you have got experience in costing, pricing and royalty management.
- You must be very interested in fair trade.