As a child..
I grew up in dublin. i wanted to be an archaeologist because i was crazy about dinosaurs. my uncle gave me a trowel which i used to carry around. I also liked the muppets.
i went through a phase of making airplanes. ever since i remember i was good at drawing. i loved factual books with pictures and diagrams i could understand and i hope to do some of my own non-fiction soon.
As an adult..
I went to art college in Dublin. I moved to Hong Kong in 2001 and worked as a teacher. I also got some of my first illustration work while i was there. I traveled around a lot and settled in London in 2004. I got a full time job in an animation studio and also started working for people tree. I became a freelance illustrator in around 2005, mainly working for magazines. I went to the Bologna fair to look for a publisher and ended up meeting a korean publisher to make my first book.
10 Things you didn’t know about Chris Haughton
- i travel a lot have lived and worked in lots of different cities
- when i first moved to london i was the handy-man in paddington station.
- in san francisco i worked in an american diner. my name badge said ‘jesus: guatamala city’
- i stayed on the bottom bunk in a hostel in hong kong for 6 months.
- in hong kong i was a teacher of very small children for a year. i taught art and drama.
- i started to illustrate while i was in hong kong and thats why i called my website vegetablefriedrice.com
- i lived in kathmandu for 6 months to work on fair trade projects and helped set up pecha kucha kathmandu.
- i think nepal is the most beautiful country in the world
- my book book A BIT LOST first came out in korean and i made it in seoul.
- i also make rugs!
A video is about chris’s work in 2010 work
[vimeo http://www.vimeo.com/11102357 w=500&h=283]
A video panel talk about getting into childrens books
[vimeo http://www.vimeo.com/33015277 w=500&h=283]